When It Rains... I Do a Juggling Act

I'm not even sure where to begin right now.




Let's start with the Doctor. I did hear back the next day. It isn't quite a "two and done", but there's nothing immediate happening. Back story: he has two daughters. One is in grad school, but the other is in high school. The latter daughter is also adopted. If you have kids or have worked with kids, you know some kids end up with attachment issues after being adopted. He and I had already had a discussion about the tan line on his finger where his wedding ring once was. It had only been off "for good" for a couple of months. Why so short, although he's been separated for over 6 months? Because of the 14 year old daughter. Since the divorce is not yet final (although they live in separate residences, etc.), she insists they are "still married" and because of that she would freak if he didn't wear his wedding ring around her.


Children are in your life forever, whether biological or adopted. It was a process to get her comfortable with him not wearing his ring. She is definitely not ready for him to be dating other women. So he's not done with me, but he has to get her to that point where she understands that "Mommy and Daddy" are not getting back together and Daddy needs to date other women, that she is not going to be replaced by Daddy dating, things like that. He and I have actually had a few text conversations since then and tried to set up a time to get tacos together. So he's definitely a ball still up in the air.


But let me introduce four other balls also up in the air.


Yeah, you read that right. Four. At one point, every free evening I had this week was filled with a date.


First up is "M1". He's a former Marine and now a nurse. Divorced, early 50's. Very reserved and hard to read. We met on Sunday for a lunch date and it was fine, nothing scintillating. However, I know well that the slow-burning attraction is often the best. He lingered with me in the parking lot, obviously not wanting the date to end but not sure what to do next. I will say he's a great hugger. After more texting, we agreed to do dinner on Tuesday, but that had to be rescheduled and is currently up in the air.


Next we have KS Boy, or KSB. I call him that because he's a 6'4" good ol' Kansas boy. Well, man, really. A 6'4" tall drink of hot water. Mmmm. We met up on Monday, starting with drinks on his patio. Normally I'm wary of first dates involving the other person's place, so of course I sent his picture, address, a picture of what I was wearing, etc. to three good friends who I know would call the cops if I didn't text them that I got home safely. So I went to his apartment (which has a really weird floor plan; memo to self: don't move there), which is decorated in "newly single bachelor". He's divorced and was fairly recently thrown out by his bipolar now-ex-girlfriend.


Hm. Bipolar exes. I know a little something about that.


We drank (bad) wine. He cooked me dinner -- quesadillas. His ex-wife was part Mexican and he knows how to season beef, I'll give him that. We ate, we chatted. We had more drinks on the patio. We went in to talk more and talking led to... yeah, I did that. The man has got some skills. Then we went back out to what he's using as his living room (it's actually the dining room, but it makes more sense layout-wise to be where the TV is) and watched a pretty funny comedy special on Netflix while doing some serious cuddling.


We've texted some since. Made vague promises to "do it again, and soon." He's definitely not "Mr. Right" but he makes a nice "Mr. Right Now", if you know what I mean.


Tuesday was supposed to be date #2 with M1, but as I said he needed to reschedule. Frankly, I wasn't disappointed because it will be the only evening this week I have free. It gave me the opportunity to do a quick mini-Thanksgiving dinner for myself with a turkey breast. None of my usual fancier culinary sides, just the basics. It was exactly what I needed, even if the stuffing was only mediocre.


Tonight I'm supposed to have a date with "M2". This is also a former Marine, who is now an NCO training officer in the Army National Guard. This one is very nice, but a bit of a mess. Long story shortened: I have on my profile "no thirds", meaning "no threesomes". He took that to mean that I didn't want to be anyone's third wife.


O-kay.


So he's been married more than once. Three times, actually. Somewhat typical for a military guy who's been deployed and has had bad luck with women being unfaithful while he's been gone. Tonight's date is in limbo; I literally just got a text from him that said his ex is trying to bail on watching the kids (even though he thought he wouldn't have his kids tonight in the first place). No child care, no date. I told him if we need to reschedule, that's fine. We've texted considerably and I know more about his history than I probably need to know at this point. Frankly, I'm not sure what my interest level really is right now, but I'm still going to meet him.


Now we come to the final outlier, TD. The T stands for traveling, the D is the first letter of his name. He does something in finance (went over my head) and travels. A lot. We've had some great text conversations and he's definitely coming after me hard. Maybe a little too hard, but we'll see. There's definitely some hurdles to overcome. The first is he's actually based in Wichita, which is 3 hours away, but he maintains an apartment in KC that is only a few miles from where I live. The second is that he travels A LOT, and sometimes on short notice. Like, we're supposed to meet on Sunday. But today he told me he might have to go out of town instead. Said he'd know more after his meeting but I have yet to hear anything. He generally works remote (from home in Wichita) but his base office is in KC and he also works out of an office in San Francisco; that's his most frequent travel location and where he may have to go after the Thanksgiving holiday.


I'm actually really interested in meeting this one. At least via text we really seem to click. He's certainly handsome, and he thinks I'm beautiful -- even the "I slept in my makeup" selfie he requested, and the "here's my chubby body in a fuzzy onesie" selfie. So who knows? We'll know more after we meet, whenever that is. And he's determined to meet me, so it's going to happen.


So the Doctor, plus four other men, and my FWB is back around. If that isn't enough, I have three more on Tinder who REALLY want to chat with me more. (One has a greater chance of getting a Nobel Peace Prize than my phone number, though, after we've exchanged a few messages.)


Take a number, boys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two and Done (Late Post)

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

It's Getting Cloooooser....