Tinder

Oh, Lord. Tinder.

I made the official plunge a couple days ago, after I called it off with "The Marine". I renewed my Match and joined Tinder. Match has so far served up a continuous stream of "nope". On Tinder, I felt like an elderly grandmother trying to figure out Twitter or Facebook, the kind whose posts show up on "Fail" sites because they accidentally used the status bar like it was a search engine.

It's been about 48 or so hours, and I've racked up over 700 likes.

Don't get too excited for me, though.

If you are unfamiliar with Tinder, take a meat market bar, put it in decent lighting, and then upload it to the internet. Eh, voila! Tinder! I have seen primary profile pictures that were only (mostly naked) shoulders to knees with the profile "just looking for friendship" with no additional pictures. I have literally seen primary profile pictures that were a Subway sandwich. I was "liked" by a guy who listed among his reasons I should swipe right was the fact he could have a man bun.

Pass.

So far I'm chatting with some level of seriousness with 4 guys. We'll just call them T1, T2, etc. and hope I can keep them straight.

T1 I was initially really interested in, even though his profile was kind of thin. Upon chatting, he let the phrase "on the side" drop. I flat out asked him if he was single. "No." Goodbye. He still wants to meet -- just looking for friends. I've told him unless his relationship was open, it was a no-go from me. He keeps messaging me. Can't say the stinker isn't persistent.

T2 and I are chatting slowly. I ultimately don't know how much of a match this will really be.

T3 and I messaged quite a bit and then moved to texting (on my "business" number, aka Google Voice) and then spent an hour on the phone. He's significantly younger than me, so I don't know how I feel about that, but he's not looking for a sugar momma. It's also a bit of a distance, so this will take some effort. But it was a good conversation, so who knows.

T4 asked to take me out pretty early on. That was his phrase, "I'd like to take you out." Why not, what's a drink? We're meeting on Saturday. I think he'll be my first date outside my ethnicity, but that doesn't really matter.

And while I was doing all this, guess who emailed and texted me on my Google voice number? If you guessed "The Marine", you get a candy bar! And a brownie button! He claims he really, truly loves me, he knows where he went wrong, etc. No threats, this time at least. I forwarded his email to the cop working my case and haven't replied to either. A friend of mine shared that one of his friends was scammed out of over $10,000... and later ended up marrying the guy and having a happy life. I suspect I'm much too cynical for that. I fell for the package. The hot single dad, two adorable kids, devoted to serving our country. None of that is real. But the fact he's now doing this tactic has me guardedly optimistic his threats to mail sexually explicit pictures of me to various places was the shallow, empty threat I suspected it was. And he's probably hoping I'll take the bait and then he can try to get more money out of me.

Ha. Fat chance.

Dating after 40 is not a walk in the park. It's not like the rom-coms would have you believe. It's not "Grace and Frankie" or whatever that show is. But hey, at least it makes for good blog fodder...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....