Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday was our "2 week anniversary", which neither of us made any mention of because we're not in middle school. Okay, we did get a little silly last week when we hit the one week mark, but that was because we'd come so far and were, at the moment, working through our first... crisis. See, we'd gone out to breakfast and came out to discover I had a flat tire.

Really, a real test of a relationship is: can you kill an hour and a half in WalMart without killing each other?

We hit the "official" one week mark while strolling through the aisles of WalMart waiting for them to take their sweet time changing my tire. We each made some purchases, laughed a lot, did some PDA, and largely just enjoyed each other's company. Which was good, because it would be a week before we would get to see each other again.

As I joked with a few friends, relationships are easy when you only see each other once a week.

He works a lot. I have 3 jobs, and he keeps crazier hours than I do. It was also his weekend to have his kids and we are certainly not yet at the point where it's time for me to meet them. We haven't even had that conversation yet. There's plenty of time for that.

The holidays are a difficult time to start a relationship. You want to spend time together, but you have family commitments. Introducing the new partner to your friends is one thing; bringing them to a family gathering where your 70 year old aunt might get a little tipsy and attempt to twerk is something else. (BTW, that actually happened one Thanksgiving.) We also have to work with the fact that he is not the primary custodial parent to his kids, and his ex-wife uses them and the schedule to manipulate him.

In spite of him having his kids yesterday and most of today, he decided last night his girlfriend was also important and decided to come over even though he wasn't "prepared" to spend the night -- no toiletries kit or an extra change of clothes. And I have learned two very important things:

1. He sprawls and will take over my bed if I don't assert myself to have enough space to sleep.
2. My boy cat loves him almost more than he loves me. (The girl cat still isn't sure about him.)

Last night, he also let a couple of bombs drop.

The first was good: he'd gotten an official offer on a new job. Goodbye 70 hour weeks, goodbye high-pressure commission-only sales; hello salary and benefits and normal working hours.

The second caught me by surprise. "Did I tell you I was going to move to Florida in April?" Um, no. With this new job that is no longer happening, but he did also say -- and this was the bigger surprise -- in a very confident way that he would have "taken [me] with him". Here I am, wondering if we should be making plans for Christmas while he's decided that we should move halfway across the country together 5 months from now.

Apparently he really did mean it when he said he is in this for the long haul.

So this Thanksgiving, I'm very grateful for many things. But of course, he is very high on the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....