Technology & Relationships (a.k.a., How #2 Came to an End)

It's no big secret that I took myself off the dating scene for a long time.  I always had a valid -- at least to me -- reason.  I was in grad school.  Relationships during a grueling degree are difficult, if not impossible.  I'd be moving soon after graduation for a job, and was it fair to someone to get in a relationship only to ask them to move?  I could rationalize just about anything.

The last time I was really dating someone was when AIM was a big deal.  Yep, I just seriously dated myself there.  We'd chat for hours on AIM, even after a date.  This was before phones could download your email.  This was before polyphonic ringtones.  This was before text messaging.

Which brings us to how Bachelor #2 and I came to an end, so to say.  Late Saturday night as he was leaving the show I was supposed to attend with him, he texted me, asking if I needed anything.  Honestly, it was probably the first outwardly considerate thing he'd done.  But let's face it, at 11:15 at night, even if I did need something, I'm not about to give out my home address to a guy I've met once and whose last name I don't even know.

A few minutes later, he texted again with the question, "Do I have a chance with you?"

Now 11:20 at night isn't necessarily my best time, at least not when I'm working days.  My alarm was going to start going off in less than 6 hours.  I knew I had three options.

1. Ignore the text and deal with it later.
2. Reply, with some comment about the hour, my early alarm, that I was asleep when he texted, blah blah blah.
3. Be honest and just get the stinking thing over with.

In spite of my increasing passive-aggressive tendencies that normally would have me choosing options 1 or 2, I went with 3.  My reply went like this:

"To be honest, there is another guy I'm more interested in.  He has nothing to do with tonight, though.  Sorry.  You're a nice guy and the right woman will be very lucky once she meets you."

He replied that he understood, that it was a pleasure to have met me, and if my circumstances changed -- if I "needed a friend" -- I could always call him.  I let him know that the reciprocal was also (basically) true.  Really, there's no need to burn a bridge here.  We weren't a compatible match, end of story, no matter how attracted he was to me.

Although we certainly weren't in a "relationship," I feel like I dumped the guy via text message.  Then again, that was the story of our "relationship" -- emails and text messages.  Gotta love dating in the 21st Century!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....