Shark Attack!

Okay, okay, okay!  I last posted a month ago, saying I'd be taking a break, a hiatus, from Match.  I've been true to that.  In spite of only one or two winks and emails, I haven't been out on the site.  I just haven't felt up to it.  Maybe it's been the incessant winter weather.  Maybe it's the 12 or so pounds that have found their way back after being "lost," screwing with my self-esteem.  Maybe it's just a little round of my old faithful friend depression.  Regardless, I haven't been out on the site, nor have I been out dating.

That's not to say there hasn't been drama, though.  I've written once before about "Shark Attacks," guys who show up, churn the waters of drama, and then disappear... only leaving a "da-dum... da-dum... da-dum..." in their wake and a little frisson of trepidation mixed with excitement as to whether or not they'll ever return.  When the first attack hit, I was not all that surprised, nor was I excited.  The second attack was a shock.  Were it not for being snowed in with a laptop that wasn't working, I would have posted about it.  Finally having dug out and being at a work computer with Internet access, I can now share about the "attacks" while also making my Facebook fans happy that they can, once again, live vicariously through me.

The first attack happened on February 13.  Being a sassy, cynical single woman, February 14th -- a.k.a "Valentine's Day" meant little to me, as I was looking forward to February 15th, when all the chocolate is half-price.  February 13 was nothing more than Ash Wednesday, a crazy busy day for someone who is both a Catholic school musician and a Worship Director at a semi-liturgical church.  On my way into work (school), I was headed down the busy street on a cold, dark morning when my text message tone sounded.  I was perplexed as to who would be texting me at 7:00 in the morning., but I figured it was probably someone at school or possibly but unlikely my own pastor with a question about that evening's service.

Nope.  It was D.

"Happy Valentine's Day" with a kiss.  A half hour later (contrary to popular belief, I rarely text and drive.  At least, I don't text and drive when it's early, dark, and I'd rather be nursing my coffee.) he sent a second message acknowledging that he was early.  At that point, and being at work, I responded that "at least [he] remembered."  He asked how I was, I told him since it was Ash Wednesday I was really busy, but overall good.

End of conversation.  Very typical of D -- pop up, send a few texts, disappear, and never follow through on anything.  In many ways, his "shark attacks" remind me of a scene one might find in an old Tom and Jerry cartoon or something, where one character finds the other chewing on him in some annoying but not harmful way... that D isn't a "shark" attack, but more like an annoying chewy guppy or something.

The "shark attack" I wasn't expecting happened not quite a week ago.  Remember the kid?  The boy toy?  I think he was J3, the 28 year old friend with a specific set of benefits?  I'm sitting on my couch on a Saturday evening, minding my own business.  I'd left my house once in the past 65 or so hours, and that was to go teach my Saturday morning Zumba class.  Otherwise, I'd been inside, in my pajamas, and not giving a damn about anything other than keeping the fire going and what was on TV.  My house was a disaster, and the only reason I'd showered or changed out of my PJ's was because of the Zumba class.

When the "booty call" text message tone came, I was beyond shocked.

"Hey, what's up?"

The long and the short of our conversation was that he hadn't "stayed in touch" because he'd started dating someone "until very recently."  And of course, he was texting me because he was horny.  I was decidedly not up for anything that evening, so I took a rain check.  Since then, nothing has happened, other than I discovered that knowing he was 1) once again available and 2) still interested proved to be a very effective motivational tool to get me to clean my house.  Maybe this weekend?  Who knows.  Perhaps this is what I need to get me interested in being on Match again.

We shall see.  And since my laptop is at the doctor's and should be ready to come home tomorrow, all fixed up, if anything happens it shouldn't take me a week or more to post.  Really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two and Done (Late Post)

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

What Fools Us Mortals Be