Random Musings

Things are quiet on Match right now, at least for me. It is Mother's Day, graduation season, and overall a generally busy time for many people. I'm not taking it personally, and besides, I haven't exactly been reaching out, either.

That doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about random things related to Match.

First Musing: a "new" feature on Match. I say "new" because they didn't have it the last time I was on Match. You're given 10 or so pairs of thumbnail pictures and ask to choose who, between the two, you prefer. All you have is a picture, their screen name, age, location.

No, that's not shallow at all. Choosing preferences based upon profile pictures. *eye roll*

Sometimes choosing between the two is almost impossible. Sometimes, you hit "skip" because I wouldn't choose either one if they were the last two guys available. Sometimes, guys you have interacted with - or in my case, dated in a previous round on Match - show up. It's just... weird. And sometimes you get two or three sets of these a day.

Second Musing: odd phrases that show up in many profiles. I've blogged about this before, in part. In the past few days I've gotten several profiles sent to me that include statements like, "yes, I have a job, a car, and I don't live in my mother's basement." Are there really that many guys out there that live in their mother's basements where guys who don't have to say that? Previously, I've seen "I have all my teeth" quite a bit. And my personal favorite, the guys who write their profiles like they are God's gift to this earth. Lastly, one I saw today where a guy went on and on about how he hates sarcasm because it tears other people down, blah blah blah. To him, I wanted to say: "sarcasm. It does not mean what you think it means." But, based on that and several other factors I decided stirring up a wasp's nest of stupid was inadvisable.

Third Musing: being matched with people who ... really aren't a match. Or, with whom there is a huge deal-breaker. Today's example is a guy who emailed me. He's educated, reasonably attractive, seems to have a good personality and we have many interests in common. But, there's a big deal-breaker. He's a smoker. I'm a professional classical singer. I make a chunk of money with my ability to sing high. Very high. And very "senza," meaning without vibrato. Smoke is BAD for me. So I replied to him saying I was up for meeting for the coffee he suggested, but explained that the smoking thing would probably be a problem. We'll see if it goes anywhere - I doubt it will - but at least I have one of my five required contacts for my second month done.

Fourth Musing: the daily match-by-mail emails. Rarely do I open them, but sometimes I do. They are usually 24 additional matches based upon profiles you either "liked" or people you've interacted with. The latter is the kicker. "Because you interacted with __________, we think you'll like ___________!" See, the thing is, person A that you interacted with might have been a total ass. Person A may be someone I ended up meeting and it was not good. Person A may be one of those guys like the one who emailed me trying to figure out my headline and was just waaaaay over-thinking it. Yes, I replied to him, but I wasn't interested. So of course I'm really thrilled to get a dozen more matches who are just like him!

I think I just sprained a muscle rolling my eyes.

Update: As I've been writing this, the smoker bachelor has replied. Get this: he was a voice minor in college and is actually trying to quit smoking. Hm. So Bachelor #4 he is. Don't know a whole lot about him other than he's 43 and lives fairly close to me. Divorced with a son, and he's also fluent in German. Oh, and since I replied to him he's changed his smoking status on Match to "trying to quit." Good for him. But it will probably be next weekend before we meet, just based on schedules so far.

Don't worry, blog fans, you'll be the first to know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....