A Smart Woman Who Makes Dumb Decisions

This has been updated since its original posting.

Someday, that will be the epitaph on my tombstone, but in past tense, obviously.

Before we get to tonight's dumb decision, a little back-story.

Yesterday at the family Thanksgiving dinner, I only had seconds on two things.  Really, I was quite proud of myself for being able to control my love of side dishes and starches.  I had seconds on stuffing and after-dinner coffee.  One of those two I regret, and it isn't the stuffing.  In spite of my sleepy meds, I was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at midnight.  Not good when the alarm is going off a little after 7.

Today I was scheduled to teach 3 group exercise classes at 2 different locations within 5 hours.  That can be challenging even without the post-turkey sluggishness, exacerbated by being up too late thanks to potent coffee.  I wasn't too upset when my third class ended up not happening because no one came, but still, two classes was enough for me to be tired.

Already dragging tail, I decided to make my own mini Thanksgiving dinner.  I didn't cook at all this year, and that's just wrong.  I also didn't get any of the leftovers.  So I picked up a Cornish game hen, made a batch of stuffing, some mashed potatoes, and proceeded to make my own food coma at home.

Exhausted.  Worn out.  In a food coma.  The perfect set-up for dumb decisions to be made.

Which brings us to J2, the minister/small business owner.  I think where we'd left off was he'd finally given me his phone number -- after a week of hinting about it and "ascertaining [my] interest" -- and he'd made a "no pressure" offer for a movie sometime this weekend.  Well, today I replied to his Match email from Wednesday, just normal inane blather about the holiday, etc.  He wrote back fairly quickly as he often does, and said "I know you're planning on going to bed early tonight, but do you want to catch a movie first?"

At this point, it's 7:30.  I'm exhausted and already in my pj's.  And, I haven't showered the gym away.  No, I don't want to go catch a movie with a guy I've never met before, not right now.

Cue dumb decision.

Rather than reply via Match email, I texted him.

I don't mind him having my number.  But tonight he's apparently in the mood for a text conversation.  After I texted him, my phone just about exploded with chatty texts.  That's partly the dumb decision.  The other part of it is now I'm realizing that, even though I turned him down repeatedly for a movie tonight, he thinks I'm more interested than I am.

Way to go, Suz.  Way to go.  You've never been in this position before, have you?  Oh, what, you have been?  Just a few weeks ago with the last guy you met on Match?

Wow.  You are... dumb.

And the text messages just keep on coming.  When I think he's stopped -- mostly because I either haven't responded or it just seems a natural point to end a conversation... he texts again.  I'm really glad I recently upgraded to unlimited texting, because texts received is part of the total number of texts.

Meanwhile, the emails are zipping back and forth between me and J3.  This is the cutie looking to make a cougar out of me.  I can't help but think of him as a kid, even though I know 28 is far from being a kid.  If this one wanted to meet tonight... I'd still say no because I'm too tired and lazy to take a shower and do my hair, but I'd definitely suggest tomorrow night, perhaps?  I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued by this one, other than he's cute, smart, and articulate, but I am.

Will he be yet another dumb decision?  Stay tuned and find out!

But wait, there's more!  (Hey, it's Black Friday, gotta go with the sales pitch!)

Our friend D, the financial planner?  We were also texting tonight and guess who finally got around to asking me out.  Next Saturday night, "wine and dine."  Location still TBA, and that's in his court.  I've told him I'll be coming from a gig.

I think I said once that this dating thing was often feast or famine.  Apparently right now my dating life is in the spirit of Thanksgiving, and going with feast.  Let's just hope I don't end up with food poisoning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....