B.U.I.

B.U.I.: Blogging under the influence.  Okay, I've just had half a bottle of wine, most of which came after dinner.  Then again, I ate fairly lightly at dinner, and dinner was preceded by a pretty strong whiskey sour.  Still, I'm finding merlot a lovely avenue for interesting reflection, although it may impair eloquent and insightful -- or at least, deep -- thoughts on dating.

Wait.  Deep thoughts on dating?  From this blog?  That's like thinking people watch soap operas for the fantastic acting and believable plot lines.

So tonight was dinner-and-a-movie old style with J3.  I cooked, he came over bringing a bottle of wine and a Redbox DVD selection.  I made chicken marsala and spinach stuffed shells.  He brought a good merlot and "The Raven."

Tangent 1: I don't know why my apartment is so hard to find.  He called twice after pulling into the parking lot to be able to find me.  There are 8 apartments in my building.  And, he's not the only one to get lost trying to find my apartment.

The date as a whole was fine.  Like our first date, it wasn't spectacular, and it wasn't horrid.  In working through my pre-blogging thoughts, I think I've stumbled across a key factor.  (Let us take a moment and thank Dionysus, the Greek god of wine-making, for this insight.)  I strongly suspect that J3 is afraid of making a mistake.  Granted, I'm pulling from little clues, but when taken as a whole that is the conclusion I come to.

First there was the "I wasn't sure, but I wanted to kiss you" episode from the first date.  In the conversations leading up to tonight there were the questions about the wine and movie, which I think I blogged about previously.  Tonight there were the two phone calls -- yes, two -- to be sure to find my apartment.  The body language was very much the conundrum between "I'm interested" and "I'm nervous."  The biggest clue for me, though, is when we get onto a subject where he feels very confident, he really becomes open and animated.  Away from that subject, he's quiet, reserved, cautious.

In some ways, that's annoying.  In other ways, it's completely endearing.  All in all, it makes him a 180 from P, who had an opinion about everything.  A "know-it-all" opinion at that.  I tend to like my men assertive and strong in character, but there's something about J3's shyness and reservedness that I think is cute.

But, back to over-analyzing, play-by-play, the date itself.

A couple of "hm" moments.  First, any man who doesn't compliment my cooking is suspect.  After all, isn't the way to a man's heart through his stomach?  He ate it all, he just didn't say anything.  Secondly, he's not the most scintillating conversationalist.  Then again, I chalk that up to the fear of making a mistake thing.

Now, the "ah" moments.  He's really good with my cats.  And, they really like him.  (If you're one of my Facebook friends and you haven't watched that "Dog Friend vs. Cat Friend YouTube video, watch it.  My cats, Tabitha especially, have been known to be the "no, he really likes you" cat.)  He brought an interesting movie selection.  A friend of mine said on Thursday that his choice of movie would be very revealing when it came to his intentions.  He didn't pick a chick flick or an insipid comedy.  He picked a thriller, one that is supposed to be thought-provoking.

Tangent 2: "The Raven" is an okay movie.  There were a couple of times where I was a little gored out, which should happen when it's a movie utilizing the horror stories of Edgar Allan Poe, who incidentally is one of my favorite authors.  The acting is fine, and the scenery and all that lovely.  The plot could've used more twists, in my opinion.  While at the beginning I couldn't have told you who the murderer was, in retrospect it was like watching an episode of "Scooby Doo": one direct path to one killer.  That said, I'm glad I saw it, and even more glad that it was a $1 Redbox rental that I didn't pay for.

So he ate my cooking.  My cats like him.  He brought an interesting movie, and a good bottle of wine (in spite of being a wine novice).  We come to the end of the date and the big question -- especially after the first date and the post-date texting about kissing.

Did he go for a kiss?

Yes, he did.  Oh, yes, yes he did.  This wasn't some cute little peck of a kiss.  This was a kiss.  Every first kiss is a little awkward, as everyone has their own style.  So keeping that in mind, while he's not a demonstrative person (so far) and not into the gradual touchy-feely stuff that sometimes comes with a date, the boy went for it on the kiss, and it was nice.

My verdict?  I'm still intrigued.  He's an enigma.  I think there's an assertive man down in there, hidden behind a fear of making a mistake.  I also know that I want to kiss him again.

Will there be a third date?  I hope so.  I want to figure him out more, see if I can pry him open some.  As always, overly-secure me is questioning whether or not there'll be a third date, but let's face it: a guy doesn't go for a kiss, especially a kiss, if he's not interested in more.

Until then, stay tuned, sports fans...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....