Really, Universe? Really?

It seems the universe, or whomever God has put in charge of my love life, thinks I need more drama.  Just when I thought the bachelors were winnowing themselves out and one was clearly taking the lead, drama.

I am not the most assertive person when it comes to early-stage dating.  I will enthusiastically follow the lead of my partner, but when it comes to initiating I tend to be tentative.  So this morning, I went out on a limb (for me) and texted J3 asking if I would get to see him again.

About a half hour later, I got a response.  "Yeah, when are you free?"  That's a typical J3 text; remember, he is not an expressive texter.  I've already learned how to "read between the lines" if you will.  I got that just as I was beginning to teach a class, so it wasn't until after the class when I could reply.  Knowing he won't reply to texts at work (generally), I wasn't expecting a text until later this evening.

A few minutes after 6:30, as I was driving from one gym to another, my text message tone sounded.  Happy heartbeats!  Then I saw who it was from -- more on that in a moment -- and I went back to waiting for my reply from J3.

It's now after 9:00 p.m., and I'm still waiting.

On my way home from work, I again went out on a limb and decided to call him.  Two rings and I got voicemail.  Was I sent to voicemail?  Is his phone actually off or in a non-answer mode?  Who knows.  I didn't leave a message.  He'll see that I called in his missed calls list.  I've done my part, now it's time for him to do his.  Or in parlance that he'd understand, being a tennis pro, I've served and now it is up to him to return it.

But that other text message, the one I got at 6:30?  That's the real drama of the night.  Why?  Because it was from D.  Yes, D, the one I was supposed to meet and go on a date with on Saturday night, who stopped replying to texts a few days previous... D, the 35 year old financial planner of Greek descent... D, who I never expected to hear from again.

It was a long text, explaining that he was so sorry, babe, he'd had a family emergency in that his aunt died unexpectedly and he left his phone here in KC when we went off to be with the family.

Maybe I'm way too nice, but for some reason I believe him, even though I can't imagine going to the grocery store without my phone, let along halfway across the country.  My charger?  Yes.  My phone?  Hell no.

I sent back a non-committal text of "sorry to hear about your aunt. :("  He started up a chattier conversation. I went to teach my second class of the evening, and when I came out I had a message that included "we need to hook up when I get back from my training."  (He's in NYC for two weeks on a business training.)

Hook up?  *rolls eyes*

I then got another text from him, just wishing me a good night.  So I replied, also wishing him a good night and that "we'll see about meeting when you get back."  I didn't say that things could change in two weeks, and I didn't say that I'd just met someone.  Two weeks from now, J3 and I could be more serious than we are now, or we could be completely done with.

At this point, I have no idea what I'm going to do.  I'm swamped at work with enough stress to turn a lump of coal into a diamond.  My schedule is nuts because it's December and I'm a musician.  And I'm apparently sufficiently twitterpated over J3 where dumb little things like unanswered phone calls will turn my emotions on a dime, just like they did with P.

Rarely a dull moment...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....