And I'm Feelin' Good

It is a glorious evening. It is around 74* with a light breeze. We are still a couple hours away from sunset, and it is the perfect evening to sit on my balcony with my laptop and recap the date I just had with Mr. Tall and Mysterious while enjoying another Shock Top Raspberry Wheat.

In a nutshell, I am in serious "pinch me" mode right now.

Everything about the date was casual. We met at a comfortable sports bar. We were both in jeans. Okay, I was in a denim skirt, because I was coming straight from the office, not that I can't wear jeans there. We had a drink and shared a platter of appetizers. And we talked. And talked. And talked. And flirted. And talked.

Less than an hour in, and he asked for a second date. I gladly agreed. So on Friday evening we have plans to go see a movie. Yes, two days away.

I'm trying to collect my thoughts about why this date was so great, and there really isn't anything specific I can pin down. What I do know is this: I haven't felt this way about a first date since the infamous P. No, not even the ex. We have to go all the way back to late summer of 2012 for me to be this stupid giddy "is this guy for real?" happy.

Part of what was so great was the pace. The level of flirting, the length of the date, all of that stuff was just right. Two hours and plans for a second date was just right. The hello and goodbye hugs, the latter with the kiss on the cheek, were just right. The body language during the date was perfect. Mutual interest was made more than clear, but there was no pressure for anything more than a couple hours spent at the sports bar. And, he asked me to text him when I got home, so he'd know I made it home safely. Talk about the perfect cherry on top for me. It wasn't patronizing nor was he concerned about my sobriety. It was genuine.

The ex, that first date was such a whirlwind. Drinks became dinner which became an invitation to his place which resulted in "yes, let's be in a relationship" and ended with a night with very little sleep. It moved too fast. Way too fast. At the time, I was happy to dismiss it with hormones and our "connection," and there is/was some truth to that. Hindsight is always 20/20, though.

Back to tonight's date. We've exchanged last names and other such information. In a silly yet sweet gesture, when I left to go to the restroom he sent me a flirty text that I "wasn't supposed to read until later."

He now also knows that when I get a text from him, it's a different sound than when I get a text from other people. Heh heh.

He's intelligent and articulate, a driven entrepreneur. He's built and sold companies, one of which involves something you may use on a regular basis, yet he considers himself just a blue collar guy from South Boston. Sadly, he's a Patriots fan, but we can't all be perfect. Frankly, his personality is a very intriguing mix for me; he's smart and has a very similar snarky sense of humor, capable of dead-panning with the best of them. He can effortlessly go from serious to silly and back again. A gentleman who is an astute conversationalist and witty is an intoxicating mix for me.

And in my opinion, he's pretty easy on the eyes, too.

Aside from the movie on Friday, we've talked about other dates or things we need to do. When the ex and I would have those conversations, I felt rushed, like it was too much too fast. Perhaps part of that was the content; it is different to talk on a first date about an evening of playing "full contact Scrabble" than what road trips you'd be taking over the summer. Perhaps part of that was the logical, grounded part of my brain trying desperately to wave a red flag saying, "this guy is an asshole!" which was a lesson it took me a full year to learn, and this time around life experiences have made me more savvy. But the similar conversations with Mr. Tall and Mysterious just felt comfortable. And speaking of comfortable, I had no problems with eye contact with him - a perennial issue with me and people I don't know well. Unless I am intrinsically comfortable with them, that is.

So we shall see where it goes from here. What text messages are sent and received, and how Friday's movie date goes. I just know right now I am a very content and happy camper, and that's a very nice feeling to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two and Done (Late Post)

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

It's Getting Cloooooser....