Oh, Whatever

I've been on and off Match for what, two and a half years now? I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit late to the whole dating thing, having been a "late bloomer" who could always justify my singleness and my hesitancy to try to date. But at some point you'd think I'd start to figure some stuff out, right? After all, I'm above-average in intelligence, I'm very observant, and I learn quickly.

Who am I kidding? If I could figure out even a handful of answers, I could stop blogging, write a book, and make a bajillion dollars.

Here's an update, such as it is, on Bachelor #6. Or right now, I think I'll call him 6a. I have not gotten a reply to my last email, which both surprises me and doesn't surprise me. However, he did "like" one of my pictures. At 4:50 this morning, according to the email.

Yes, I have one eyebrow raised and an otherwise cynical look on my face. He wouldn't be the first to just disappear after a couple of email exchanges, and let's face it, if he's not that interested after all, filling up his inbox would just make me a stalker and not change his mind. And even I have held off on replying to someone I am interested in by a day or so even though I've been on the site. So if I hear from him again, great. If not, there are certainly other fish in the sea. I mean, I've been reactivated for all of a week.

Then we have who I might call #6b. He "noticed me!" in his Daily Matches, and he emailed me. It wasn't exactly a scintillating email, since the entirety of it was, "Zumba huh?" But I did end up replying, because you never know. I have no idea if I'll hear back from him, but what I know is that he's 42, divorced, has kids, and is a 6'4" blue eyed, red haired guy whose job falls in the "medical/dental/veterinary/fitness" category and whose physique makes it clear he does take care of himself.

I'm trying to take the "whatever" approach to communication, but it isn't easy. Last week on vacation my girlfriend and I talked about this, and how even though we've done it hundreds of times it still smarts when we wink or email and don't get a response. It may sting a little less, but it still has that rejection stink about it. Frankly, I think if I ever develop that thick of a skin and that much apathy where rejection no longer hurts, I should probably stop dating.

And to beat a recurring theme into the ground, I have to remember to be patient. There are many reasons people don't reply right away, not the least of which is that they also have lives. We aren't all sitting around waiting for a Match email or wink, constantly going through the myriad of options of potential dates. Also, just because someone shows up a "online now!" doesn't mean they are - it's a bit of a fluke with both the app and using Match Mobile and how you close it out on your phone. I know I have shown up as "online" when I'm not simply because I didn't swipe out the app on my iPhone, I just hit my home button to close it.

Maybe Murphy and his law will kick in now... now that I've publicly kvetched about not getting a reply... and maybe I'll be elected homecoming queen. Ha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....