Tornado of Confusion

There's an old adage, "be careful what you wish for." We've all heard it, we've probably said it, and we've most likely all experienced it at some level. For example, today when I was teaching my Zumba class it started with all regulars, so I was going to skip over my usual intro spiel, but then did an abbreviated one and laughed with them, saying it was "in case one of them was like a spy for my boss or something." Fast forward 15 minutes into class, and my boss was right around the corner, working out on the cardio machines, and well aware of my class, watching periodically in the mirror. She wasn't officially observing me or anything, but still...

I don't necessarily remember asking for more activity on Match, but here it is. It's been a crazy day, starting around 7:30 this morning with an initial email from a gentleman we'll now call Bachelor #7. As the day progressed, I received emails from 4 other gentlemen, most worthy of a reply. While it isn't unprecedented that I receive that many winks or winks and emails combined, 5 guys emailing is new.

Before I get into Bachelor #7, a couple of random ... things ... from Match today.

First was a profile I came across in my Daily Matches. When it comes to pictures, people post all sorts of stuff. You'll see pictures of their pets, their travels, their family, them with a celebrity or two, all things meant to help those checking out a profile get a better idea of who that person is. But today, this gentleman included in his pictures a shot of his scale. With him standing on it. Yes, he took a picture of his weight and posted it on Match. Really?

Secondly, I think Match makes up shit. One of the emails I received today started with a thank you for a picture like. I rarely "like" pictures. Very rarely. This screen name was only vaguely familiar, but the email and the profile attached to it were nice so I replied. And when I pulled up his profile, sure enough, Match was showing I had "liked" his picture. Except I'm pretty sure I didn't. I think Match is going out of its way to play matchmaker. Um, thanks?

Moving along, back to Bachelor #7. He's a 41 year old divorcee with a daughter. 5'8" and a bit of a gym rat, he came on pretty strong. The second email was the "wanna text?" and giving me his number. We hadn't exchanged names yet. I slowed that down a little, but we did shift to texting. Now here is where things get... complicated. He currently lives in TX. But... he is moving to KC. He already has a job lined up here, and a good one. His daughter lives up here, too, and he's coming up next week to look at houses. Kicker: he's not actually moving here until November. Why? Because he's active duty army, has been for 23 years, and he's retiring at that time. 23 years of serving our country, 3 Tours of Duty (2 to active war zones), and getting ready to start a second career. I pointed out to him that the three most stressful things in life are moving, changing jobs, and starting/ending a relationship; was he going for a hat trick?

Yes. Yes, he is.

Am I the one who will complete that hat trick? I have no idea. We've tentatively set up a date for Sunday - next Sunday. Nothing firm yet. Which is like the lunch date I have on Tuesday.

Wait, whaaa? Like how I just slipped that in there? Yup, after another classic passive-aggressive loophole-filled text from me, #6, G, has asked for a second date. However, I'm not holding my breath. Yes, he asked me out to lunch on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I replied saying Tuesday was better for me; when and where? I have yet to get a response. Color me surprised.

Why do I even bother?

Rounding out the drama, there is another gentleman who I've exchanged more than one email with. I'm not ready to give him a bachelor number yet, not sure if I'm really all that interested. But hey, what's a few emails? Or some text messages? Or even a drink?

It's only 5:20 pm on a Saturday. It's possible that there will be more interesting happenings before the sun sets, or I crawl into bed. Or before I decide to shut my phone off and be blissfully detached for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....