Thank You, Mr. Marley

During one of today's Facebook checks, I came across a picture posted by a friend that was just a quote.  But it was a quote that really spoke to me and brought me a lot of... well, peace.  See, lately I've been seeing posted by other single female friends a lot of memes and other "inspirational pictures" that essentially declare that if a man isn't willing to put you on a pedestal, he isn't worth it.  Now I'm not sure what the female version of misogyny would be, but let's just say in my opinion relationships are definitely a two-way street, and that it is unfair for us women to simply expect the man to worship the ground we walk on in order to deem him "worthy" of us.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that men should be allowed to treat us like crap, either.  I'm just calling for equality.  Love me and all my warts, as I love you and all your scars.  I carry no disillusions about what I bring into a relationship -- good or bad -- and I will do the same for my partner.  I don't expect him to make more sacrifices than I would, including expectations and realizations about who we're dating.

Here is what was posted and attributed to Bob Marley.  You may agree, or you may think that us women should be treated like princesses.  (Personally, I was too busy playing with Hot Wheels to worry about a princess dress.)

"He's not perfect.  You aren't either, and the two of you will never be perfect.  But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can.  He isn't going to quote poetry, he's not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break.  Don't hurt him, don't change him, and don't expect more than he can give.  Don't analyze.  Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he's not there.  Love hard when there is love to be had.  Because perfect guys don't exist, but there's always one guy that is perfect for you."

Comments

Post a Comment

We are all adults here. Comments are welcome, but they are also moderated because there has been a marked increase in spam, trolling, and generally snarky and nasty comments being submitted. Different opinions are welcome when expressed maturely; rude comments and links will not be published.

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....