I Just Don't Get It

Right off the bat, I'm going to say this post has nothing to do with P. This is another of those "random musings about online dating" posts.

I get various notifications from Match. I get notified that someone "winked" at me. I get notified that I have an email. I get notified that someone "liked" one of my pictures. (God bless Facebook for every site now having a "like" feature.) I get notified that someone was going through their daily matches and marked me as "definitely interested." What I don't get notified of is when someone makes my profile one of their "favorites."

Thing is, I'm actually okay with that. Every now and then when I'm on the site I see that someone else has added me to their favorites, and I go to see who it is. This is the part I don't get.

With one exception, they are people who haven't interacted with me at all. They haven't shown up in my list of matches. They haven't winked at me, they haven't emailed, they haven't "liked" one of my pictures. But I'm one of their "favorites." I say one exception, but there's actually been two. The first would be T, the very first guy I went out on a date with thanks to Match. (Cringe.) The second would be Bachelor #3, the one who we were texting but it never went any further than that. He no longer shows up because his profile has been deactivated -- chances are he's met someone, and good for him, because he's a really good guy. At least as far as I know based on texts, emails, and his profile.

But the others... that's just a little creepy, at least for me. Frankly, I haven't "favorited" anyone, not even P. I almost have that feeling of being stalked, although that is really a stretch. I just can't quite find the words to express how it makes me feel. Flattered, within a certain amount of reason, and yet... uncomfortable. These guys haven't even sent a wink. If you can see my profile and "favorite" it, you can send me a wink. I may not respond, but at least I'm not thinking you're some creepy pseudo-stalker guy on Match. It's almost like they are that neighbor who watches you all the time, knows your schedule, but never comes out to talk to you.

Maybe I'm just another profile in a large harem of "favorites" they have. Perhaps I'm just one of dozens. I still don't get it, though. You've never met me, talked to me (even cyber-talk), all you know of me is what I've put up on my profile, and yet I'm a "favorite."

Forgive me if I don't return the favor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....