Recap: Date #2

Yes, sports fans, tonight was the night of date number two.  You remember, the whole kit and kaboodle with baseball, my high school friend from out of town, and the extension of kids on both sides?

Tonight was supposed to be a 6:10 baseball game.  Supposed to be.  See, there was this little thing called Hurricane Isaac, which became Tropical Storm Isaac, and then "remnants of Isaac."  Well, remnants of Isaac decided to park over KC all day Friday and Saturday morning and pee about 6" or so of rain.  While we needed it badly, the timing was not ideal for my plans.  The Friday night game was rained out.

However, in an unusual turn of events, whoever makes the decisions about rescheduling baseball games decided to make today a true doubleheader.  Our tickets were suddenly good for both games -- the one starting at 3:10 AND the one scheduled for 6:10.  I relayed this information to P, and long story short he said they'd probably come earlier instead of later.

The rain was still falling as the first pitch was thrown at 3:30.  As we texted to coordinate meeting up, it became clear to me (and my friend) that P was nervous about the event.  In some ways, that was cute -- I was a little nervous, too, but I had taken part of a muscle relaxer to help my back and that also helped the nerves.  Turns out, P has a sty or bug bite on one of his eyelids.  Whatever.  I'd taken  a really fabulous hair day and proceeded to walk through the wind and rain and become a bit of a frizz ball.  Life goes on.  However, that also says he's worried at some level about whether or not I find him attractive.  (He still has no worries there!)  All 6 of us located ourselves in unoccupied seats near our section, but under a cover.  The 7 hours that followed are best summarized in pro & con points.

Actually, the only con of the day is that -- and admittedly I'm making an assumption -- he appears to still be active on Match.  Sigh.  I make this assumption because at one point he was looking up something on his iPhone and when his Google came up, with its previous search results, it was all results for Match.  Yes, I know... if someone is active on Match, why is it in their Google search results?  And he really didn't make a huge effort to hide that from me; he knew that I was watching what he was doing because it pertained to our conversation.  But still... remember how pessimistic and over-analytical I am!

Now, the pros.

1. Throughout the day, we were rarely not in physical contact of some sort.  At times, it was very close.  And, it was never awkward.  There is definitely a certain comfort level already between us, perhaps more than "should" be there since it was only the second time we'd seen each other in person.  But yes, I'm going to say it: I really like the feeling of being in his arms.
 
2. At one point, he and his son were going to walk around the stadium.  Actually, it was, "You want to walk around the stadium with us?"  This is opposed to the non-inclusive, "We're going to walk around the stadium" or the somewhat back-handed inclusive, "We're going to walk around the stadium.  You want to come?"  So the three of us (me, P, and his son) walked around the stadium, taking in the sights, talking about all sorts of things.  We were probably gone for a good half hour, or at least a couple of innings.

3. P isn't a baseball fan, really.  From what I understood, prior to tonight he'd never really made it past 7 innings of a baseball game.  Tonight he sat through 18.  There were initial thoughts from him, which I had gathered and wasn't necessarily offended by, of leaving after the first game.  Totally understandable since he's not a baseball fan.  Yet they stayed until the bitter end.  And... as we (this being my household contingency) were walking out to the car, P texted me.  "That was way more fun than I expected!"

4. He bought my dinner.  My ridiculously expensive ball park dinner.  I didn't necessarily expect it, but I was happy for it.  And more than once during the day as he and his son were going to get something or use the restroom, he asked me if I needed or wanted anything.  Very classy of him, in my opinion, and there was no retort of "well, you paid for my ticket."  That we aren't starting out in an even tit-for-tat kind of way I personally think is a good thing.  Yes, I've blogged that my buying his ticket is a way to get him to "owe me," but I'm not keeping a running fiscal total in my head.

To answer the unasked question, there was no awkwardness with his son, but at the same time we aren't BFF's just yet.  His son seemed very shy, but gradually started warming up as the day went along.  The two boys hardly spoke to each other, but that's fine.  My friend's son is really into baseball.  Not only does he play, but at 11 years old, he's seen more pro baseball games life than most Americans, and he's been to games in both the US and if I'm not mistaken, also Canada.  P's son... has been to a few T-bones games, the T-bones being our local minor league team, and he doesn't play any sports.  The two kids, aside from the whole "single kid of divorced parents" thing, really are very different.

Oh, and the last "pro" of the evening.  As I was getting my goodbye hug, he said to me, "I'll talk to you soon?"  There was actually a little uncertainty in his voice -- just a smidge.  My answer: "Oh, yes."

Yes, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....