Unexpected Knife to the Heart

I suppose that title is more dramatic than this post really is, but we all know by now my propensity for overreacting.  I had been drafting in my head while taking my post-workout shower a blog post covering the interesting communications and developments I have ongoing via Match.  Before coming here, I logged onto Match with the intention of replying to an email, sending another one, and going through my Daily Matches.

It was after the first thing on that list that I got the unexpected stab.

Remember that I decided, for some unknown and irrational reason, to 'favorite' P?  Well apparently Match's algorithms decided that this guy I was replying to and P were sufficiently similar that upon my sending this reply it popped up a suggestion that I also email P, complete with his current profile picture.

That was completely unexpected, as was my reaction to it.  I literally had an adrenaline shot run through my chest upon seeing his picture.  Believe me, I thought I was well past that, but apparently I'm not.  Given how dissimilar the two guys are, it was definitely a shock.  One is a mid-30s Latino who works in labor, the other a late-40s white collar architect.

Oh, yeah.  Definitely two peas in a pod.  Definitely deserving of the "email more guys like (5'4" Latino boy)!  We suggest (P)!" title.

Way to go, Match.

So I went and deleted P from my list of favorites.  Hopefully that will prevent him from popping up like that on Match ever again.  And if he does, I'll have to list him as "no connection."  That will be hard, but necessary.  See, I've never ended a relationship, even one like whatever that was I had with P, and not remained friends at some level with the guy.  Once again, new territory.  And I legitimately enjoyed the conversations and non-sexual interactions with P.  He's someone that I would like to have as an actual friend, but apparently that's not meant to be.  C'est la vie.

Back to the more current and pressing drama that is my (ha) dating life.

Update on Bachelor #8, K.  Last I'd said, I was probably going to give up on him.  He surprised me by texting me this morning, saying he was back in town, a little update on his trip, and that he'd try to call me tonight.  Well, it's almost 10:30 and he hasn't called.  I'm going to chalk this one up to recovering from his weekend, but the third time he says he'll call and doesn't... three strikes and you're done unless you have a really good excuse.

Now the gentlemen I replied to today.  This is the munchkin, the 5'4" blue collar bachelor.  I was reminiscing today about a conversation I had with a good friend of mine, who once asked me if I'd ever date blue collar. I told him I wasn't opposed to it, but that I'd never done it.  We'll see what happens here.  The email reply he sent me apologized for the delay in replying (it had been - gasp - maybe 12 hours, overnight?) and explained he wasn't allowed his cell phone at work.  He then said "I hope I'm what your [sic] looking for."

I thought that an interesting and odd comment.  There's been almost no actual conversation, no asking questions or giving answers about each other, save the comments about busy weekends.  We haven't exchanged names even.  So when I replied, I told him that I didn't know if he was what I was looking for, but that was why we emailed, maybe talked, and saw where things went from there.  At this point, I'm not seeing a great connection, but I could be surprised.

Which brings us to a new entry.  A somewhat enigmatic entry.  I remember him showing up in my Daily Matches a while ago, and I think I ranked him a "maybe."  To be honest, I couldn't tell you why, unless it had to do with how incomplete his profile is.  Regardless, he decided to wink at me -- and he "favorited" me.

Hmm.  We know how that "being favorited" thing generally works for me.

I winked back, and then tonight decided to drop him an email that said hi, that I found his profile interesting (because what is there actually is interesting), and was he interested in chatting.  Typical blah blah blah stuff.  Still, in spite of the profile that leaves many questions unanswered, I do know he's an unmarried 37 year old with a graduate degree and a great smile.  I'm intrigued enough to pursue this at this time.

Meanwhile, I have to admit that lately my Daily Matches have been full of "maybes."  Granted, it is not common for me to mark someone "Yes! I'm definitely interested!" but the past two or three days it seems like my inclination towards that has declined even more.  Personally, to me its been looking like the pool of frogs has a lot of toads.

You'd think between K, shorty Latino boy, and enigmatic-with-a-great-smile, I'd have enough going on.  Maybe I do.  Who knows.  All I know for sure is that I don't have any dates on the calendar right now, but in good time that will change.  I have faith.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even Bach Had His Mondays - Part 1

Two and Done (Late Post)

It's Getting Cloooooser....